The 5 long day infusions with Solu-medral (IV Steroids) seemed to work! Thank god. I was hoping it would do something. Again, I had optic neuritis in the right eye. For those of you who don’t know what it is; basically it is a sudden swelling of the optic nerve. The swelling can damage the myelin surrounding the nerve. This will result in vision loss. Unfortunately, no matter how strong your eye glass prescription is nothing will look clear. It almost looks like you have wax paper over one eye. This was my relapse. So the IV steroids are supposed to lessen the time in a relapse. The earlier it is caught the more effective the drugs are.
I had many nurses come in and redo the IV’s because they were clogged, or kinked, or the IV moved into the tissue (which is bad). The last nurse who finally got it in my hand had told me the other nurses were putting in child size IV’s and that would explain why they were not working. Well gee thanks! Lol After recovering from looking like a bruised junkie I feel better. And best of all I SEE better! I have to admit I didn’t want to do this. I think because of the fear of the unknown. I was scared, but I am so glad that I did. The world seems, well clearer =). It took a good week for it to work, however, my right eye still sees the “red” colors as dull.
I did however, have to change the way I eat. I introduced a lot more vegies and reduced most of all carbs and sodium. Although the 5 days are over, the meds sit in my system for 6 weeks, so I’m not in the clear just yet. This was to ensure I didn’t get the “moon face” from steroids. And I didn’t!
Rebif seems to be working (Normal injections I get 3 times a week). Hopefully this time around it works with my brain! I get cold and a little uncomfortable through shot nights but it’s manageable and I guess okay.
Once again “we”, my team and I, are raising money for the Mahoning Valley MS walk. It is on April 21st, 2012 at the Scrappers Stadium. I will include a link to my page. There you can donate or join my team “Spot the Cause”. I hope you all will find it in your hearts to help support this cause that is so near and dear to my heart. If anyone has any questions please shoot me an email or comment on this post and I will try to help the best I can =).
Again thank you for the support and thank you for reading!
With Love,
Amber
No comments:
Post a Comment